Perlite is a unique filter aid made from volcanic rock that is expanded and milled. The result is a product that is chemically inert with a neutral pH. Lighter than D.E., Perlite also is easier to mix and keep in solution.
- Ease - Troublesome to coat vertical leaf screens are now easily coated.
- Cost - Perlite has a 20-50% density advantage. This offers twice as much filtration pound for pound than D.E.
- Health - Perlite has been proven by significant testing to pose no significant respiratory health risk to workers. It contains less than .1% Silica (almost none) as compared to up to 60% with some D.E.
- Cleanup - Removing the cake is much easier. It is easily washed off.
- Non-hazardous waste - Perlite is not a hazardous waste and can be easily disposed of. Some cakes used for food processing can even be recycled as components in animal feed.
In the U.S., this application has been approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
* IFN 8-26-242
Perlite is sterile and does not impart taste, color or odor.
Mean pore diameter
- 27M - 3-5 microns
- 23S - 8-10 microns
(Any particles larger than that would be caught in the filter and smaller than that would pass through.)
Add up to 10% rice hulls to enhance the filtration effectiveness of the lauter bed. Particularly beneficial when producing wheat beers.
Some Cargill products are only approved for use in certain geographies, end uses, and/or at certain usage levels. It is the customer's responsibility to determine, for a particular geography, that (i) the Cargill product, its use and usage levels, (ii) the customer's product and its use, and (iii) any claims made about the customer's product, all comply with applicable laws and regulations.