Inulin and oligofructose are naturally* occurring dietary components that are becoming increasingly important as consumers strive to supplement dietary fiber intake. Oliggo-Fiber® inulin, a soluble fiber known as the “invisible fiber,” comes from the chicory root and can be incorporated into most foods or beverages without affecting taste or texture.
Inulin is recognized as a prebiotic ingredient that supports the natural, healthful bacteria in the lower Gastro Intestinal (GI) tract. Research also indicates that chicory root inulin may enhance dietary calcium absorption, particularly among preteens and postmenopausal women. Chicory root inulin can be used to add fiber without a large impact on functionality or appearance of the product. Oliggo-Fiber® inulin is a naturally-sourced fructan extracted from chicory root.
Chicory root inulin health benefits
- Digestive health: Oliggo-Fiber® inulin is a prebiotic that helps promote digestive health by stimulating the normal, beneficial bacteria in the colon. Both inulin and oligofructose are effective prebiotics and bifidogenic at a daily consumption of 5g/day.
- Bone health: Oliggo-Fiber® inulin may boost calcium absorption, which is important to building and maintaining strong bones. A positive effect on calcium absorption has been demonstrated in teens and postmenopausal women.
- Weight management: Diets rich in fiber, such as inulin, may help maintain a feeling of fullness for longer periods after eating. Oliggo-Fiber® inulin products also improve the nutritional value of food products by increasing the dietary fiber content and potentially reducing the caloric content while maintaining the properties that make food enjoyable to eat.
- Negligible impact on glycemic response: Inulin is suitable for use in a low glycemic diet. Inulin, as a food ingredient, does not significantly impact blood sugar levels.
- Fiber enrichment: A diet rich in soluble fiber, such as inulin, helps to maintain a healthy digestive tract and may help promote regularity.
Chicory root inulin functional benefits
- Fat mimetic
- Bulking agent
- Masking agent
- Body and mouthfeel enhancement
- Flavor and texture improvement
Oliggo-Fiber® comes in a variety of forms and includes:
- Oliggo-Fiber® DS2 Inulin
- Oliggo-Fiber® Instant Inulin
- Oliggo-Fiber® Instant Premium
- Oliggo-Fiber® S20 Inulin
- Oliggo-Fiber™ L85 Oligofructose (Liquid Inulin)
To learn more about our Oliggo-Fiber® product offerings, visit our Product Forms page.
*FDA has not defined natural. Contact Cargill for source and processing information.
Some Cargill products are only approved for use in certain geographies, end uses, and/or at certain usage levels. It is the customer's responsibility to determine, for a particular geography, that (i) the Cargill product, its use and usage levels, (ii) the customer's product and its use, and (iii) any claims made about the customer's product, all comply with applicable laws and regulations.